Expand your horizon and get involved with your community.
ASCEND offers a wide range of events and clubs to help you achieve your goals, on and off the walls. Sure, climbing is the best thing ever, but you never know who or what else you might fall in love with. So step out of your comfort zone and join in on the fun!
Click on each Class title in the calendar for a full description
Steel Town Throw Down & 1 Year Anniversary Celebration
Saturday, March 24
FACILITY CLOSURES: Please note that ASCEND will be closed all day for the event (including yoga, fitness, training, and rope-wall), but spectators are strongly encouraged to attend and cheer! Additional closures include:
- Tuesday, March 20: Half of Arch will be closed
- Wednesday, March 21: All of Arch will be closed
- Thursday, March 22: All of Arch and Blue Slab/Cave will be closed
- Friday, March 23: No bouldering, but yoga, fitness, training, and rope-wall remain open until entire facility closes at 5p.
- Saturday, March 24: Closed for competition and celebration - spectating and partying open to public!
- Sunday, March 25: 100% open for business and redemption!
Cost & Registration
$40 per participant ($35 early bird pricing through 3/18!)
Schedule of Events
- 1p-4p - Youth Comp - Registration at 12p
- 2p-5p - Adult Comp - Registration at 1p
- 5:30-6:30p - Awards & Raffle - Must be present to win/claim raffle prize
- 6:30-8p - Finals! - Adult Comp participants only
- 8p-10p - 1 Year Anniversary Celebration
We thought long and hard on how to make the Steel Town Throw Down a little more unique from your average competition - in a nutshell, everyone has a chance to win big, despite your climbing ability. In addition to competing for divisional placements, participants will also compete for raffle tickets. Everyone starts with one ticket and then is awarded additional tickets incrementally based on overall placement. This means that each person you best increases your chance to win a premium prize package!
- Three hours of redpoint climbing (youth and adult overlap)
- Top-five scores count toward your total (peer judged)
- Adult competitors will be placed in divisions based on a percentage split of total scores (Recreation 0-15%, Intermediate 16-55%, Advanced 56-85%, Open 86-100%)
- Youth competitors will be placed in divisions based on their ages (10 & under, 11-12, 13-15, 16-17)
- Top-five adult women and men advance to final round (10 total finalists)
- Finalists: $1,450 cash purse split + 1st place finishers receive trophies made by Urban Tree
- Adult Rec/Int/Adv: 1st place women and men in each division take home premium sponsor swag
- Youth Division Awards: 1st place girl and boy in each age division take home premium sponsor swag
- Raffle: All competitors earn tickets and can win big!
Awards, Raffle Packages, and Sponsors: We've got some amazing, competitor awards and high-value raffle packages for YOU to win - totalling over $5,000!
ADULT RAFFLE PRIZES
- Seneca Rocks Guided Trip - full-day of privately guided climbing at Seneca Rocks via SRMG and NFA + one night’s stay in the Wexler Hut (over $450 value!)
- Pittsburgh Staycation - dinner downtown + two Penguins tickets + accomodations at SpringHill Suites at South Side Works + Uber rides to and from (over $500 value!)
- Coffee for a Year - two bags of coffee per month + swag from rotating Wake Up With ASCEND partners (over $300 value!)
- Get Out and Climb #1 - rope + rope bag + chalk bag + harness + belay device + carabiner + headlamp (over $350 value!)
- Get Out and Climb #2 - harness + belay device + carabiner + headlamp + climbing shoes + NRG Guide Books + mini knife (over $420 value!)
- Get Out and Climb #3 - three months ASCEND Basic Membership + RRG Guide Books + approach shoes + AAC hat + mini knife (over $400 value!)
- Find Your Strength - two months ASCEND Premium Membership + two hours personal training + Holdz hangboard (over $400 value!)
YOUTH RAFFLE PRIZES
- ASCEND Fun - ASCEND Summer Camp half day session ($250 value!)
- ASCEND Train - one month ASCEND Basic youth membership + one month of youth team fees for two days per week ($134 value!)
- Get Some Gear #1 - climbing shoes + chalk + brush (over $185 value!)
- Get Some Gear #2 - climbing shoes + chalk + brush (over $185 value!)
After Party/1st Anniversary Party: Once the competition ends, the party starts! This is a free event open to the public (beverages and food will be for sale).
Food: Food trucks, PGH Taco Truck from 12p-6p | Chop Shop from 5p-10p will be available throughout the event along with some choice ASCEND partner vendor tables offering samples and selling goods. Oh, and of course ASCEND's concession stand will be stocked to the gills!
Beverages: East End Brewing Company will begin pouring beer, cider (gf) and non-alcoholic soda promptly at 5p and donating $1 to SWPACC for every drink poured throughout the night - please give them a high-five! SWPACC will also be selling BRAND-NEW silicone pints for $15, which includes one FREE beverage from EEBC. These slick, branded pints will retail for $15, so this is quite a deal! Support a good cause while having fun! Please note that you do not need to purchase a SWPACC pint to drink, but it is STRONGLY encouraged.
Entertainment: Once finals end at 8p, the music goes up and the disco ball drops (seriously). We're throwing a party and you don't want to miss it! Music will be provided by Pittsburgh's very own DJ James Gyre. We'll kick you out around 10p, but the after party is set for Dive Bar and Grille South Side.
- SpringHill Suites, Southside Works - RESERVE HERE